Deck the walls with this Christmas garland…with a little help from WonderUnder, an iron-on adhesive. Here’s how you can make your very own festive felt banner:
- WonderUnder (sold at your local fabric store)
- 1 sheet of red felt
- 2.5 sheets of white felt
- Ironing board
- Pencil or marker
- Letter stencils (I printed out letters from my computer, but you could free-hand it)
- Ruler (optional)
- Pinking shears (optional)
- Damp towel
- Small hole punch (optional)
- Make Your Own Sticky-Backed Red Felt. Cut out an 8.5″ x 11″ sheet of WonderUnder. Put the red felt onto your ironing board, then put the WonderUnder (rough side down) on top of the felt. Use a dry, hot iron to press the adhesive onto the felt for 10 seconds.
- Create Your Letters. Cut out your letter stencils, then use a pencil or marker to trace the reverse image of the letter onto the Wonder-Undered side of the felt. Cut out your felt letters.
- Cut Out White Felt Squares for the Background. Use a ruler and pencil to draw out evenly sized rectangles from the white felt. (I created six rectangles from each 8.5″ x 11″ sheet of white felt.) Use pinking shears to cut out rectangles with zig-zag borders.
- Adhere the Red Letters to the White Rectangles. Position each red letter so that it’s on top of a white felt rectangle. (The Wonder-Undered side of the red felt should be touching the white felt.) Put each square onto the ironing board. Cover up the squares with a damp towel. Iron on the letters (medium-high heat) for 20 seconds. (Tip: From bottom to top, here’s what you should have: ironing board, white felt, Wonder-Under, red felt, damp towel, iron.)
- Assemble Your Banner. Use a small hole punch or scissors to create two openings at the top of each white square. String ribbon through the holes, then display your finished banner over the mantle!